Sunday, August 2, 2015

Birthday Fun

Birthday Parties 

Being a new mom, I had my first "oh shit" moment at the store. Our sons first birthday party is quickly approaching and I decided to go ahead and get the essentials along with some really adorable other things. I get to the counter and when she rung me up the total was $150! How did plates, napkins, silverware, cups, hats, etc add up!? I quickly gave her my card and got out of there before I saw anything else. 

I never knew why my mom cringed at the thought of birthdays. They were always so much fun when she threw them for us but now I know why. THEY ARE SO MUCH WORK. Between the location, invitations, decor, food, drinks, games and prizes, it can add up to a small fortune. Luckily for you, I am giving you some tips on how to put together an awesome birthday party that won't break the bank. 

1.) Plan Ahead. Chose the theme and budget. Doing this ahead of time will allow you to look for decor and prices through different companies. 
2.) Make a list. This will help keep you organized when it comes to how and what you'll need for the party. Also you can see how many people you are planning on inviting. 
3.) Invitations. There are so many places out there that you can get some of the cutest birthday invitations. My favorite I found was on etsy. They have great JPEGs you can purchase for the invites at $9 and get an unlimited amount printed at staples. For 30 invitations and envelopes I paid about $25.  
4.) Buy in advance. Go through your list of things and buy a little at a time. This will help not make it a huge lump sum a week before and allow any changes you need to make if your guest list gets larger. 
5.) Cake. Cakes can be very pricey, trust me. So why not make your own? There are so many YouTube tutorials on how to make cakes, even ones with fondant. That's what I did and surprisingly it was easy! 
6.) Rentals. Do your research and pricing ahead of time. This will help you stay within your budget. Whether you are renting the location or tables and chairs. 
7.) Food. The type of food being served does matter. You want it adult and kid friendly. Hamburgers and hot dogs are always a crowd pleaser and you can buy these in bulk which is great! Side dishes are also important so choose those wisely. You'll also wanna check with the other moms if they or any of their kids have food allergies. The last thing you'll be wanting to do is administer an epi-pen and calling an ambulance. 
8.) Decor. This is where things can really add up. So my advice is, get creative! You can make your own centerpieces, decor and even a photo booth! Pinterest has really helped me with that! And these ideas have cost me a third of what I would have paid from the store or a website.

Just remember parents, it's a party celebrating your little ones year! Don't get consumed in what other parents did, are planning, etc. Enjoy the day and don't stress yourself out too much! 

Xoxo,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment